When we think about iron-rich foods, the first thing that usually comes to mind is red meat. However, produce such as spinach and fortified cereals also contain high levels of iron. However, did you know that there are even iron-rich fruits which can be a great source of this essential mineral?
In this blog post, we'll explore a variety of fruits rich in iron and how incorporating them into your diet can have a positive impact on your energy and health. We’re Ripe London, by the way, we’re passionate about using our diets to boost productivity, but more on us later.
What is Iron?
Iron is a vital mineral that plays a crucial role in our overall health. It’s a key component of haemoglobin, a protein in our red blood cells that transports oxygen from our lungs to the rest of our bodies. Iron is also crucial in various metabolic processes and supports our immune system. Iron deficiency can lead to anaemia, which can cause fatigue, weakness, and impaired cognitive function. Ensuring an adequate intake of iron and other vitamins and nutrients is essential for maintaining good workplace health.
10 Tasty Iron-Rich Fruits
Incorporating these iron-rich fruits into your diet can be an enjoyable way to increase your iron intake, especially if you have dietary preferences or restrictions that limit your consumption of iron-rich meats or other animal-based sources. Whether you enjoy them as snacks, add them to your meals, or use them in various recipes, these fruits can contribute to your overall health and wellbeing whilst at work.
- Surprisingly, watermelon contains a moderate amount of iron, offering around 0.2 mg per 100 grams. It's a hydrating and refreshing fruit, particularly enjoyable during the warmer months.
- Pomegranates offer about 0.3 mg of iron per 100 grams. While they may not be as iron-rich as some other fruits, they make up for it with a wealth of antioxidants, vitamins, and unique flavour.
- Figs, whether fresh or dried, are a great source of dietary iron. Providing approximately 0.4 mg per 100 grams. They are also high in dietary fibre, calcium, and potassium, as well as providing a unique sweet flavour.
- Guava is a tropical fruit packed with iron (around 0.4 mg per 100 grams), vitamin C, dietary fibre, and various antioxidants. It's known for its unique sweet-tart flavour and is a nutritious addition to your fruit salad.
- Dates are not only naturally sweet but also rich in iron, providing roughly 0.9 mg of iron per 100 grams. They are also high in natural sugars, making them a quick energy booster. Dates are in energy bars and snacks, making them an ideal choice for a quick iron boost.
- Prunes, or dried plums, are exceptionally high in this special mineral, providing about 0.9 mg of iron per 100 grams. They're also packed with dietary fibre, vitamin K, and antioxidants. Prunes are known for their natural laxative properties, making them beneficial for digestive health.
- Blackcurrants, tiny berries positively rich in iron, offer roughly 1.8 mg per 100 grams. They are also one of the best natural sources of vitamin C, which enhances our ability to absorb iron.
- Raisins, which are dried grapes, are an incredibly accessible source of iron, containing approximately 1.9 mg per 100 grams. They are convenient for snacking and can be added to cereal, yoghurt, or baked goods.
- Mulberries are a lesser-known fruit, similar in look to blackberries, and are incredibly nutritious. They’re bursting with approximately 2.1 mg of iron per 100 grams, and are additionally a good source of vitamin C and vitamin K.
- Dried apricots are rich in iron, offering a whopping average of 2.7 mg of iron per 100 grams. They're also a good source of dietary fibre, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
Incorporating Iron-Rich Fruits into Your Workplace Diet
Incorporating iron-rich fruits into workplace eating is a great way to promote health, boost productivity, and provide nutritious snacks for everyone clocking in.
- Maintain a communal fruit bowl in your workplace's common area, such as the kitchen or breakroom. Stock it with a variety of iron-rich fruits like dried apricots, prunes, or raisins. Encourage everyone to enjoy a healthy snack during breaks or whenever they need an energy boost.
- Set up snack stations with assorted iron-rich fruits in easily accessible locations within the office. Include options like dried figs, dates, and trail mix with dried fruits. This provides a convenient and nutritious snacking option for employees throughout the day.
- If your workplace has vending machines, advocate for the inclusion of healthy snack options that feature iron-rich fruits. This provides employees with convenient access to nutritious choices.
- If your workplace has wellness programs or initiatives, promote the consumption of iron-rich fruits as part of a balanced diet. Share information about the benefits of these fruits and encourage employees to incorporate them into their daily routines.
- Offer customised snack baskets for employees that include a variety of iron-rich fruits along with other healthy snacks. This provides a convenient and well-balanced snacking solution.
- Consider subscribing to an office fruit delivery service that offers a variety of fresh fruits, including those rich in iron. You can arrange regular deliveries to keep your workplace stocked with a fresh supply of fruits. This not only encourages healthy eating but also adds a touch of wellness to your office culture.
Office Fruit Deliveries: Boost Your Productivity With Ripe
Ripe is a London-wide office fruit delivery service, a convenient solution for workplaces that want to provide fresh and nutritious fruits to their employees regularly. It involves partnering with local traders and providers that specialise in growing a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
How Ripe Works
- Selection: You choose the types of fruits you want to include in your office fruit delivery. This can include iron-rich fruits like dried apricots, prunes, raisins, or any other fruits your employees enjoy. You can also choose from a variety of fruits, vegetables, and snacks to fill your stomachs with.
- Delivery schedule: You establish a delivery schedule that suits your workplace needs, depending on the size of your office and the level of fruit consumption.
- Delivery day: On the scheduled day, our helpful and attentive delivery staff brings a fresh supply of fruits directly to your office.
- Enjoyment: Employees can help themselves to the fruits throughout the delivery period, enjoying them as healthy snacks during breaks or whenever they like.
How Ripe Benefits Your Business
- Convenience: Ripe helps you save time and effort, since you’ll never have to go to the shop to stock up on snacks again.
- Variety: With a wide selection of fruits, you can cater to diverse employee preferences and needs.
- Wellness: Providing fresh fruits promotes a culture of wellness in the workplace, encouraging employees to make healthier snack choices. Productivity, engagement, and efficiency can all improve with good diets.
- Satisfaction: Employees appreciate the excitement of deliveries and the availability of fresh fruits and unique snacks, boosting morale and job satisfaction.
By subscribing to our office fruit delivery service and including iron-rich fruits in your selections, you ensure that your workplace is constantly supplied with fresh and healthy options. This promotes better eating habits among employees and contributes to a healthier and more energised work environment.