When thinking about how to improve productivity in the workplace, it’s vital to pay attention to the entire body — not just the vital organs. The thyroid is a gland crucial in regulating metabolism and energy levels. It does this by producing special hormones which play a key role in converting food into energy. So, thyroid health is crucial for optimal function.
At Ripe London, that’s what we care about; ensuring that the fuel we’re filling up on is setting us up for success. And when we’re talking about setting yourself or your employees up for success, it’s a crime to neglect the thyroid.
Why is the Thyroid Important for Productivity?
Before we get to which fruit is good for thyroid health, it’s important to know specifically how this gland impacts the body.
The thyroid gland produces hormones, primarily thyroxine and triiodothyronine, which regulate metabolism, meaning they influence the rate at which the body converts food into energy. Thyroid hormones also play a role in mood regulation, cognitive function, and anxiety levels. Thyroid disorders can disrupt sleeping patterns, and other issues with the gland can manifest as muscle weakness and joint pain, meaning turning up and working hard can be very hard without the right nutrition.
Which Fruit is Good for Thyroid Health?
All evidence points towards the thyroid being vital to ensuring consistency and productivity in the workplace. The good news is that Ripe is here to help. As a London-wide office fruit delivery service, we’re experts in using the best fruits and vegetables to energise a workforce. If you’re wondering which fruit is good for thyroid health, here’s the lowdown:
- Prunes are high in iodine, a vital mineral used in the production of those thyroid hormones. Five dried prunes provide around 13 mcg of iodine, or a handy 9% of your daily value.
- Strawberries are similarly packed with iodine, vital for thyroid function. A cup of strawberries will give a 13 mcg boost to anyone feeling sluggish. Sufficient levels of iodine help prevent hypothyroidism, which leads to weight gain, depression, and tiredness.
- Apples are rich in antioxidants and fibre, useful in protecting the thyroid against damage caused by free radicals (loose atoms which bounce around the body, contributing to cell damage, ageing, and cancer).
- Citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruits are high in vitamin C, which aids the body in absorbing the iron used in thyroid hormone production.
- Avocados are full of healthy fats, which are thought to regulate hormone production.
Other foods renowned for their thyroid-positive impact are nuts, rich in the selenium needed for normal thyroid function, and dairy, which contain high levels of that all-important iodine. Leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables are also high in vitamins and minerals, such as A, C, and iron, which are important for the thyroid.
Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can negatively impact thyroid function. A health-conscious lifestyle and regular exercise are important for maintaining hormonal equilibrium. It’s important to note that some foods may interfere with thyroid function and hormone absorption. So speaking to a healthcare professional before making dietary changes is recommended.
Getting the Best Thyroid Foods at Work
Incorporating thyroid-boosting foods into the office can support employee health and workplace efficiency. Here are some tips to get the best thyroid-friendly foods into the office:
- Remove access to processed foods, such as vending machines. Offer incentives, such as free healthy snacks, to deter employees from grabbing sugar or fat-filled foods.
- Enable access to fruits for snacking. Nuts, fruits, and dairy products are all great entries for a thyroid-conscious diet.
- Consider an office fruit delivery, such as Ripe, to get fresh and local produce delivered straight to your office door.
Ripe: Delivering the Best Fruits for Thyroid Health
With Ripe, you get the very best London-grown produce delivered straight to you. Our fruits haven’t spent days or weeks in storage or transit — they were grown and picked right here in the capital.
- Find thyroid–boosting fruit in our shop page and add to your order.
- Excite your employees with a healthy office fruit delivery, stacked with vitamin-rich fresh produce.
- Customise your order based on team size and budget.
From crisp apples to succulent strawberries, our shop is stacked with thyroid-friendly fruits, as well as nuts, dairy products, and veggies, that’ll offer a huge boost to everyone in the office.